A snowy weekend in the PNW

Snowpocalypse 2014 finally hit the Pacific Northwest. We finally joined the ranks of the rest of the country and got some SNOW!!! This was super exciting because a lot of Western Oregon and Washington never get snow - mostly just rain, and lots of it.

Last Thursday there were warnings of a snowstorm coming through by late afternoon, and my sisters in high school were let out on an early 2-hour release. For once, the weatherman wasn't lying and we got dumped on -- Yay! Snow day dance!

Snowy tree in Oregon - edited with VSCO Cam
I took the screen out of my window to take this picture! Brrrrr!

This continued through Friday (no school) and Saturday as well as some freezing rain. We couldn't even leave our house on Saturday because our cars couldn't handle the roads (when normally they are great in snow!) But you just can't fight with ice. And since we never get snow like this, a lot of people in our area don't know how to drive in it or are simply note equipped with the right tools. The best choice was to stay home. Even Sunday was bad and there was no school today either!

So apart from the few times I ventured out to take in all of the wintery wonder, I mostly stayed inside, cozy by the fire. All this down time (read: CABIN FEVER) led me to discover some cool things I might not have otherwise found in my usual busy schedule, and I wanted to share.

1. Yoga Studio (app): I stumbled across this a few weeks ago via a Twitter conversation with Kate over at Kate the (almost) Great and I was so excited to finally try it. I loved going to Yoga classes at the gym in college but I haven't been able to get to a studio recently, so this seemed like a good alternative! It does cost $2.99 in the App Store, but it is so worth it because you can download full studio classes ranging from 15 minutes to an hour, and then have them ready to play whenever (without internet). You can even create your own class by adding pose blocks and sequences together. There is also a calendar scheduling feature, which I think will really help me schedule my yoga time in, as if I were going to an actual studio class. So far, I love it!

2. Tone It Up Weekly Schedule: I've been signed up for TIU's emails for a while, but never looked much into them because I thought you had to be a member (and buy the nutritional plan) to really get any benefit from them. Well, this weekend I finally read through the whole email and realized that they are giving you an entire week's schedule of workouts, right there on the page, as well as some videos from YouTube. All free! No sign up for the plan required. The "Love Your Body" Challenge is in its last week and so I think I will try to start up with the next challenge they begin after Valentine's Day. You just never know what you'll find out when you actually read all your emails, huh?!

3. Waterlogue (app): I found this app last week and decided to finally give it a try. It's a photography app that takes your regular photos and magically turns them into beautiful watercolor paintings! It also costs $2.99, but the new watercolor photos really do look legitimate. There are 12 styles of watercolor filters to add, ranging from bold to artistic to technical, depending on the effect you want. I tried it out with a colorful picture of changing leaves that I took back in the fall, and look what happened! You can even save it in full resolution to print out and frame. This may be my new favorite app.

Original photo:
Rainbow Leaves on a tree in Oregon


Waterlogue'd photo:
Rainbow Leaves on a tree in Oregon using Waterlogue app


Seriously! How amazing is that?! I can't wait to try even more photos and then maybe print out a few to hang up around the house. Tell me if you've found any cool apps like this! I especially love fun photography ones, but things like Yoga studio are awesome too. Let me know if you've found any gems recently. And I hope you're surviving Snowpocalypse 2014 if its still happening in your part of the country!


No comments:

Post a Comment