The New Year // Twenty Fourteen

I love music. All genres. And I love when a song can bring you back to a certain moment in time, a place, or simply just make you feel something. With the beginning of the new year a few days ago, I remembered a song I've liked for quite some time now that has a "new year" theme to it. And I always love a theme. Who doesn't? Take a listen.

The New Year - Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism

Also related to the new year, I came across a link-up here that I wanted to participate in. It seemed like a good way to get some of my thoughts down surrounding the new year without necessarily making specific resolutions.

1. What is something you want to change, or a goal you want to set for the New Year, and what is your plan for making it happen?

Something I really want to change for the new year is my sleeping pattern. I've always been a night owl and have been known to sleep past noon if I get the chance. I love sleep, but I don't necessarily like sleeping in late. I miss out on a lot of things by starting my day five hours later than everyone else and my activities become more limited when I go to bed five hours later than everyone else. The best way I can change this is by keeping a consistent sleep and wake time, and getting enough hours of sleep. I think that my consistent lack of sleep and dramatically different sleep/wake times is what has thrown my schedule off so much. Especially since I don't have a job or other activity that requires me to get up at 7am everyday, I end up overusing that advantage. Coffee in the morning, Sleepy-Time tea at night, all electronics off two hours before bedtime, and I think I'll be off to a better night's sleep.

2. Many people choose a word to reflect on, live by, or aspire to for the New Year.  Let us know your word, how you decided upon it, and how you hope to incorporate it into 2014.

Power. Not in a weird way or power over of others, but power in the sense that I have the power over my life. I control my own destiny. Yes, there are many outside events that are outside of my power, but the majority of my life is based on decisions I make that I can control. I have the power to alter my sleep schedule. I have the power to work out multiple times a week to get stronger. I have the power to choose which foods I put into my body, however nutritious or not they may be. I have the power to be active in a job search, and growing this blog, and finding new opportunities for myself as I'm in this transitional period of my life. In the words of Snap and in the essence of that one scene in Bruce Almighty... "I've got the power!"

3. I will make 2014 count by…

Making the most of my time. Although I'm living at home now and it can be tiring at times, I know I'll miss it when I move away to the other side of the country (which is bound to happen in the next few years). I want to live more in the moment and really appreciate all the time I have with my sisters while they're still growing up and with my parents right here with me. I will also make the most of my time by setting goals for career-related things: applying to lots of design jobs in a reasonable time frame, applying even when I don't think I have a chance, and going for opportunities that I might not have otherwise because it could push me out of my comfort zone. 

Let me know if you have come up with anything like this for the new year! Especially number two - do you have a specific word as your theme for 2014?

No comments:

Post a Comment