Radiant Orchid Inspiration: SHOES

"Radiant Orchid blooms with confidence and magical warmth that intrigues the eye and sparks the imagination. It is an expressive, creative and embracing purple - one that draws you in with its beguiling charm. A captivating harmony of fuschia, purple and pink undertones, Radiant Orchid emanates great joy, love and health." -- PANTONE

As many of you may already know, PANTONE recently announced the 2014 Color of the Year, Radiant Orchid. It's very much a designer/fashion/art world thing, and honestly I don't think I'd ever heard of a "Color of the Year" until I started my apparel design degree in 2009. In any case, it's a color prediction (or rather a specific announcement everyone follows) that sets the tone for the year and which many designers incorporate into their collections.

I think it's so fun to get inspiration and plan outfits with a color theme like this, even if it's not a very concrete thing - but which trends are, really? And why not have a little fun? I decided to start a series of blog posts with ideas of how to incorporate this color into your wardrobe and surroundings in more ways than just by buying a "purple-ish" shirt. Today's post is on SHOES! My favorite! Let's get started.

Radiant Orchid Color Inspiration: SHOES


Shoes are such a great accessory to add a pop of color to your outfit. Notice how all these shoes are slightly different colors, but all seem to go together? That's because they are all shades and tints of the original color (up on the top of the photo behind the title) and so they complement each other. By definition, "shade" is a color that has had black added to it, and "tint" is a color that has had white added to it. So all of these items are the same color Radiant Orchid, just different shades and tints of that color. [A mini lesson on color terminology! Yay design theory!]

  • Shoes #1 and #4 are great, classic pumps that will for sure add some glam to your outfit in this feminine color. I love the idea of dark skinny jeans with the darker shaded #1, and white skinny crops or a full ballerina skirt or even maxi dress with the lighter #4.
  • When at the gym, on the road, or at my favorite, a Zumba class, the lighter #2 Nikes will be a sweet pop of color to an otherwise mostly black ensemble. Who says you can't look put together at the gym?
  • I especially love the #3 flats because they are so versatile. I can see them easily being paired with basic jeans or leggings on the weekend or even with trousers for work! As a tall girl, I love a good pair of flats.
  • Living in the rainy Pacific Northwest, rainboots are a must. So far I only have a black pair, but these #5 darker hued stylish Hunter boots are on my list!
  • I think this last pair of shoes, #6, is such a great stylish and alternative option to your everyday flat. The cutout shoe trend has been making its way around, and these are so cool with their half color/half black look. These would quickly become a staple in my wardrobe.
♥ ♥ ♥

I hope you enjoyed this first post on Radiant Orchid - stay tuned for next week's installment! What do you think of the color? How long have you been aware of PANTONE's Color of the Year? Let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love the rain boots! I definitely always need a good pair here in New England!

    Also, I nominated you for the Liebster Award! Here is a link to my post about it: http://kimberlyschronicle.blogspot.com/2014/01/liebstar-award.html

    ReplyDelete